Sunday, May 29, 2011

Bread Machine Doughnuts Maybe Like They Served in the USO

So first off Happy Memorial Day to everyone.  I got to thinking about my Dad and all the other veterans and men and women serving our country right now, and thought of my Dad during World War 2 enjoying some nice homemade doughnuts served to him, maybe by my Mom.  Dad didn't talk too much about the war or his service time, but I used to sit on the floor and look at him in pictures when he was stationed in Hawaii and wonder what times were like back then.

So in honor of all our men and women in uniform now and past I present to everyone my Bread Machine Doughnut (recipe adapted from one found on Food.com)


Bread Machine Doughnuts

1 1/4 cups milk
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast


Put ingredients in your machine according to your manufacturers directions.  Choose dough cycle. 
Roll finished dough to 1/2 inch thick, cut with 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter.  I do not have one of those so I used my 3 inch biscuit cutter and a vitamin bottle to cut the holes out.

Let rise 30 minutes or until doubled.

Deep fry at 375 degrees.  Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.  Fry until brown on each side.  I used my electric skillet set to 375 degrees and use about 3/4 of an inch of oil and it worked great.

Drain on paper towels.  Glaze or dust with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

Here is the glaze I used, I kinda made it up as I went along.

1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 tablespoon hot water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all in a bowl, and mix up.  If you want it thinner just add a smidge more water.

Dip tops of doughnuts in icing and place on cake rack to set.  I put wax paper under mine to catch the drips.

Ok now to some pictures( beware I took alot of them)


Here they are being cut out.


Here is my "doughnut cutter" I improvised as you can see.



Here they are all risen and ready to fry.  But oops I forgot to take a picture of them while they were frying.


This is all that was left before I could snap a picture.  The recipe makes a dozen and the holes, but we were eating them while they were warm YUMMY!!!!!


Here are the holes and one poor doughnut that made it into the cinnamon sugar.


Well I hope everyone will try some doughnut and thank a veteran for his service on Memorial Day.


I again would like to thank everyone for all the kind comments and my say welcome to my newest followers.  I am still kinda at awe that anyone would like to read about my cooking adventures.

I will again be linking up this week with some great blogs, so please check them out and leave the nice bloggy friends a nice comment.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great Memorial Day weekend !!


Denise

9 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute for Memorial day!! Those doughnuts look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys LOVE donuts and while I don't do fried food much, now and then we do and they LOVE making them homemade. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing this recipe I will share with my teens not for sure if they fully understand what a USO is or was

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I think I could eat that entire plate of donuts! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful treat :), I am very happy to be following you back! Hope to see you soon at The Pioneer Cookbook

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS! I don't often splurge on doughnuts, but I want these! Thanks for linking these up to Friday Potluck... and I hope you had a pleasant long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise..I love all these wonderful recipes! And these donuts look so soft and yummy!

    Thank you for linking them up to Made it on Monday!
    *Pssst...YOU MADE MY TOP 3 this week! :) You need to go to my Contact me page and email me your shipping address. This was a PRIZE WEEK!

    Have a great day!
    I hope you will come join me & (4) of my friends over www.countrycooksacrossamerica.com/

    Lark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise,
    Ok, now you have me wanting, no craving those donuts. I will have to make this recipe to get them out of my head. They look so delicious! Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look really really good!! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete