Saturday, August 6, 2011

Sour Cream Chive Bread, More Bread From the Herb Garden

Gee another week has past, and we are now in August can you believe it !!! While out in the herb garden again, I pondered what other kind of bread or rolls I could make with my chives.  My field of chives was started with a couple of clumps from one of my friends garden.  Now it has grown to fill up almost the whole space. 

As some of you may know I decorate my kitchen ( though the herd seems to move to other parts of the house lol) with cows and the outside too.  My hubby bought me this lovely cow for the garden when we first moved into this house about nine years ago.

So here is my one and only legal cow in the city limits.


He happily stands in the middle of my chive field.

I am going to share my favorite recipe for Sour Cream Chive Bread.

Sour Cream Chive Bread
adapted from Food.com

2/3 cup whole milk
1/4 water
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups bread flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh minced chives
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast

Put all ingredients in the order that you machine recommends.  Select dough cycle or basic bread setting and crust color and loaf size which is 1 1/2 pounds.   I used the dough cycle and baked it in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.


Here it is already to place in the bread machine.  Notice I did not finely mince up my chives, I used kitchen shears and just cut them into small pieces.



Shaped in the pan ready to rise...


Risen and ready to bake.  I have to admit it looks great at this point and even smell good too.  I think I am getting hungry !!!!



Full loaf view ....



Here it is all sliced up and posed with some fresh chives from the herb garden.

You could certainly use this dough and make some heavenly rolls out of it.  I am thinking that is what I will do next time I make this bread.  Thinking these rolls and some awesome turkey burgers or chicken salad.  There I go again making myself hungry!!!!

I would like to end of a happy note (The Bread Fairy does Snoopy Dance.)  I would like to thanks all 225 followers of this blog on FaceBook and my followers on Google Connect. I have met several very nice lady foodies and consider all of them my friends.

Please come back often and check out all the recipe rounds I will be posting too this week and leave the ladies a nice comment .  Because everyone loves a nice comment ESPECIALLY ME !!!!

Take care

Denise
The Bread Fairy



9 comments:

  1. Greetings!!! I found you via the Church Supper Sunday Blog hop...

    I am a sucker for bread. Nothing more satisfying in the world as a cook than to pull a freshly baked loaf of bread from the oven. Right when the steamy hottness hits your face and that first FULL whiff of yeasty odor fills your nostrils. One of the best times when it is better to be the cook than the one being served.

    And I just happen to have a wonderful container garden with some terrific onion Chive growing.

    Have you considered posting this recipe to eRecipeCards.com ??? It would be very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything w/ herbs and could live on bread alone!! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper! Hope to see you again next week.

    Everyday Mom's Meals

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! We're big carb addicts here so I'm always looking for great, new bread recipes. I also have a large herb garden which, at the moment, is quite bountiful!! Thanks for this great recipe.

    FYI: I found your blog via the Church Supper linky party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this bread sounds so good! I bet it would be wonderful with Chicken Salad!

    Thank you so much for linking up to "Made it on Monday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you posted!!!!

    That is fabulous for a couple of reasons, not the least of which I intend to make this soon. i have some terrific chives growing in my garden and I very much want (plan) to make this soon.

    I just love the smell of baking bread!

    Beautiful photos... just love the whole look!

    The combination sounds delicious. Thank you for submitting this to eRecipeCards.com. Everything worked perfect. Please consider making us a habit whenever you post anything new and of course, you are welcome to show off some of your earlier favorites as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this at Recipe Sharing Monday. I hope to see you back tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have beautiful chives in our garden right now. I need to make your wonderful Sour Cream Chive Bread, it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    See you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. The whole loaf my way,please. That just look so delicious.

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Foodie Wednesday. hope to see you there this week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANK YOU so much for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I'd like to invite you back this week.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete