Sunday, April 28, 2013

My Kopy Kat Bob Evans Strawberry Bread

 
My hubby and I went to Bob's the other nite for dinner.  As some of you may know they have seasonal breads.  So I decided to try their Strawberry Bread.
 
 
When the waitress brought the dish to the table, it did not look like the Strawberry Bread I had made last year with fresh berries.  After tasting it I decided it must be made with strawberry jam.
 
 
So it all started with this jar.
 
 
 
My homemade Strawberry Jam from last season.
 
 
I found a few recipes on the web, but only a few seemed right. 
The recipe I based my recipe from was from Cooks.com.
 
 
Kopy Kat Bob Evans Strawberry Bread
 
adapted from Cooks.com
Makes 2 loaves
 
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs room temperature
1 cup strawberry jam ( homemade is best )
1/2 cup butter milk
6 to 8 drops red food coloring
 
Combine flour, salt and cream of tartar and soda.  Set aside.  Combine sugar, butter and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.  Cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
 
Stir together jam and buttermilk.  Add to creamed mixture. Alternate with dry ingredients.  Mix just to blend.  Add a few drops of red food coloring to get the shad of pink you want.  The jam alone did not get the batter really pink.
 
Pour into 2 greased loaf pans 9 x 5x 3  and bake at 350 degrees for about 60 minutes.
 
 
 
Here you can see how pink I got my batter, it only took about 6 drops of food coloring.
 
 
 

 
 
Cooling on the rack.

 
Iced with a simple powdered sugar and milk drizzle.
 
 

 
Here it is cut and pink and beautiful and tastes even better than the restaurant's.
 
So there you have it Strawberry Bread !!!
 
 
Denise
 
The Bread Fairy
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. What size loaf pans, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 2 8 1/4 x 5, the small ones, you could use 2 9 by 5 loaf pans.

      Delete