Saturday, August 17, 2013

BACON ! BACON! BACON! oh and Cheddar Bread of COURSE!!!

 
 
Do you ever just have one of those moments when you wonder what to do with leftover bacon??? I did, then of course I thought Bread !!!
 
 
 
 
So I went searching and found a recipe to adapt for my needs and changed a few things. 
 
 
This is my adapted recipe...
 
Bacon Cheddar Bread
adapted from About.com
 
1 1/3 cups warm water
2 tablespoons bacon grease ( yes bacon fat )
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
4 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
2 teaspoon yeast
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese ( I used sharp cheddar) buy the block and grate it yourself, it just melts better !
8 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
 
Place all ingredients in your bread machine, according to your manufacturer's instructions.
 
I did what the original recipe said and added the cheese and bacon at the nut beep.  I will not do that next time as all the cheese and bacon did not get mixed in well enough for me.
 
The next time I make this bread I will add it with all the other ingredients, so it is more evenly distributed throughout the dough.
 
I used the dough cycle and shaped and baked mine in the oven.  If you do this shape and let rise until double and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.
 
Or chose the basic cycle on your bread machine and medium crust, this is about a 1 1/2 pound loaf.
 


 
Here it is all baked up YUM !

 
Cut and sliced, still tasty even though the cheese and bacon could have been more evenly distributed. 

 
 
 

 
Thanks for stopping by and checking out my BACON !!
 
Denise
 
The Bread Fairy
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. What is this leftover bacon you speak of?? Leftover bacon is sacrilegious! LOL In my house I can't make bacon until I am ready to use it and still have to guard it or it disappears! Can't wait to make this!!

    ReplyDelete